The FTP, or file transfer protocol, is a tool to enable file transfer between a remote host (the Sensemetric cloud platform) and the local host (a user's computer). This article will guide the user through setup and operation of the FTPS between the Sensemetrics app and the user's computer.
In order to utilize the FTP, an FTP client that supports FTPS must be installed on the user's computer. Sensemetrics recommends the use of Filezilla, but additional FTP clients may be used. This help article will illustrate the workflow within the Filezilla FTP client. If you would like to use another FTP client, please reach out to the Sensemetrics support team for confirmation of whether your FTP client of choice is compatible with the FTPS requirements of the Sensemetrics platform.
Start by downloading the Filezilla FTP client (download link: https://filezilla-project.org/). After downloading and completing the initial setup of Filezilla, open up the application, and an interface page similar to the image below should open.
The required information for filling in the red boxes above (host, user name, password) in order to establish the FTPS connection can be found on the Sensemetrics app.
Within the Sensemetrics app platform, the FTP interface is accessed through the Documents Module.
1. Click on the Documents Module on the upper navigation bar.
2. Within the Documents Module, click on the FTP category on the left side sidebar.
3. Once on the FTP page, click the blue cog wheel on the right side. A popout window, as seen below, will appear with the Host, Username, and Password listed. Copy this information from Sensemetrics into the corresponding fields within the Filezilla QuickConnect Bar.
An example of this information entered onto the QuickConnect bar of Filezilla is displayed below. For the port cell, enter "21". Click the blue "Quickconnect" button.
FTP Connection and File Transfer
Filezilla will then attempt to connect between the Sensemetrics remote host and the user's computer.
1. Status Bar- The Status Bar provides a log of operations for the FTP. If the connection procedure above was followed correctly, the Status notes bar will end with the note "Status: Directory listing of "/" successful". If the connection is not established, confirm that the connection information was input correctly and that your local network firewall settings allow FTP.
2. Local Host Folders- The user's computer drives and folders will be displayed on the upper-left window. Navigating through drives and folders within this window will change the sub-folders and files displayed in the lower-left window, labeled 4. Folders from the local host can be dragged and dropped to the right into the Remote Host folder. When dragging and dropping, confirm that a green "+" box appears on the Remote Host folder you are transferring the file into to ensure success.
3. Remote Host Folders- The Sensemetrics file directory for the FTP documents module will be displayed in the upper-right corner. Files transferred into this window should be dropped onto the file with the Username displayed as the folder name. Folders can also be transferred from this window back to the Local Host folders.
4. Local Host Sub-Folders and Files- The user's computer sub-folders and files, as selected in window 2, will be displayed on the lower-left window. Folders and files from this window can be dragged and dropped to the right into the Remote Host folders (window 3) or remote host sub-folders and files (window 5). When dragging and dropping, confirm that a green "+" box appears on the Remote Host folder you are transferring the file into to ensure success.
5. Remote Host Sub-Folders and Files- The Sensemerics sub-folders and files, as selected in window 3, will be displayed on the lower-right window. Folders and files from this window can be dragged and dropped to the left into the Local Host folders (window 2) or local host sub-folders and files (window 4). When dragging and dropping, confirm that a green "+" box appears on the Local Host folder you are transferring the file into to ensure success.
Files transferred into the Sensemetrics remote host will be displayed in the FTP window, as illustrated below.
FTP formatting from other programs
If using FTP to push data from other manufacturers programs such as Trimble, Senceive, etc. Different formatting may be required of the host, user name and password. The FTP User credentials will be the same regardless of which program you are using. The most common formatting is:
ftp://username:firstname.lastname@example.org 12345/destination/path. If the program you are using has any other options, please reach out to sensemetrics support with as much detail as possible and the team will help in any way they can.
Please sign in to leave a comment.