This article will provide a basic overview of how to add a device to your sensemetrics THREAD, basic configuration overview, and additional device management information. To find out more about Devices and how they work within your network, see the Devices article. Navigate to Device & Sensor Connection List (Here). for a list of all currently support integrations. For more detailed instructions regarding the setup of specific Devices and Sensors, see the Devices & Sensors Section.
Adding A Device
This section will cover how to configure a device on a sensemetrics THREAD. Third party Connections like GeoMos and Spider will automatically bring in Devices.
1. If not already there, navigate to the Connectivity page.
2. Press the + button directly on a THREAD to add a Device to it. This automatically populates the Thread connect code in step 5 below.
3. You may also add a device from the + Device button in the Devices & Sensors Section.
4. Begin searching for your Device by typing in the device name or manufacturer. Select the Device you wish to add once the Device name is auto-populated in the dropdown. Once a Device has been selected, configuration details specific to the device connection will appear, as illustrated in the image below.
5. Type in the Connect Code of the THREAD that the Device will be connected to. If Step 2 was followed previously, this field will be pre-populated.
6. Next, select the THREAD Device Port that will be used. Depending on the model, Threads will have 2 or 3 ports. These ports are demarked by labels or small, indented dots. Select the number of the respective port into which the device connect cable is plugged.
7. Press to proceed to the Device Configuration page.
Many Devices will require additional configuration in order to provide the user with accurate and calculated data. The configuration page is specific to the Device type and its configuration requirements. For more information regarding configuring Devices and Sensors and additional sensor settings, visit the Sensor configuration article. Congratulations, you have successfully added a Device!
Modifying a Device or Sensor
Every Device or Sensor will have a set of generic settings that can be adjusted, as well as those setting specific to the Device type. To do this, click on the Device you wish to edit to bring up the Details page below. Click on the Edit Configuration button on the left of the screen.
This page has Device cards that give information such as Thread Connect Code and Thread Port the Device is connected to, documents associated with the Device, geographic location (if configured), and last sensor readings.
There are several configurable options available regardless of Device or Sensor Type. These options and a brief explanation are listed below.
DEVICE NAME- This is the name given to the Device. This is populated automatically but can be changed. This is the name that will be populated across the platform for the device, from the connectivity page to dashboards and data pages.
LOCATION- Enter the coordinates of the Device to automatically place that Device in its correct location in Georeferenced Map profiles.
NOTES- A user can add anything to this field. These notes will be associated with the Device which can then be used when searching and filtering.
If any changes are made, click to save the configuration changes.
From the Edit Configuration Tab, the user can also Transfer or Archive a Device by clicking the three vertical dots in the upper right corner. An explanation of these features is found below.
Transfer Device and Sensors - Transfers the device and all associated sensors (including observations) to another device port on the same Thread or another Thread and selected device port.
Archive Device - Moves Device and all associated sensors to a virtual "Archive Node". This saves the data and all configuration settings for later viewing. This is recommended prior to deleting any Devices.
Please sign in to leave a comment.